I've been educating myself via Wikipedia, and the power that never having to wonder for long about anything is exhilerating. The public schools will caution you not to rely on Wikipedia as a source and I can see how it could make a young student very lazy and how it might even eventually make non-fiction books obsolete. For a 46 year old just wanting to know stuff, however, it simply can't be beat.
Here's a for instance: the other day my husband was cracking wise as usual, and he referred to a very elderly man as "that World War I veteran over there". Well... accordingly to Wikipedia, there are only five WWI vets worldwide and the youngest is 106. Unless Douglas Edward Terrey (Doug to his friends when they were alive) of the United Kingdom was eating lunch at the Ruby Tuesday in Commack last Tuesday, I doubt it was him. The others are 108 or 109, and I can't imagine they get out much these days.
You need not wonder ever again what the deal is with Aaron Burr, Morning Glory Seeds, Sarah OR Sandra Bernhardt, the Hapsbergs, Oakdale, New York, Trinity Church, or Lydia Bastianich. If you have fingers to type with, the knowledge is yours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment